Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: Jardin du Nil



Powdery Rose.

I've been hearing so much about the "dirty sock" accord in Jardin du Nil, and that made me even more keen to get my hands on it. So I picked up a vintage bottle of this, with all that talk on the sub-par reformulations of MPGs.

Yes. I definitely smell dirty socks - salty and musty. It opens with that, and a succulent rose syrup accord. Fortunately, that stinky aspect does not persist for more than the first half an hour. A thick cloud of a powdery florals (I get alot of Geranium) start to bloom and mask all that stink, with an accord of over-ripped berries (and possibly some other fruity notes) adding to the almost-cloying sweetness/thickness. All that is rounded up with very typical old-school amber and sandalwood base, that just leaves this scent nothing short of substantial.

I'm a huge fan of rose scents, with my favorites lying in Rose 31, Paestum Rose and handful of Montales. Jardin du Nil is however a different creature, a more traditional and less contemporary one, much in the vein of another rose monster, the animalic Aramis 900 - that I find to be JdN's slightly more butch counterpart.

I'm not sure how often I'd be in a mood for JdN, but it is no doubt a scent of substance - like an EDT of its era feels like an EDP of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment