Monday, June 7, 2010

Parfumerie Generale: Cuir Venenum




I just received my bottle of Cuir Venenum and the word "Cuir" can be a little misleading here. Upon my first few sprays, I am met with a bubblegummy, fruity accord with some light floral undertones - tuberose is my guess, though I could be wrong. So this is the "burnt-jam" accord that is reported by retailers. Not at all what I was expecting from a name that suggests an intoxicating leather. I normally try my best not to associate an independent scent to another, but I couldn't help but be reminded of Serge Lutens Cedre, where a candied and sweetened tuberose is bolstered by some cedar, but only just.

As I allow the scent to sit and settle, and try to figure out where the leather is, I notice a bit of that coconut that has been listed, but just barely. It has been well hidden/blended in to add texture to the sweetness. But still no distinctive leather! The harder I try the more it seems to elude me. Ok, there is a slight rawness/bitterness to the scent, and maybe that's the leather, but I could just be trying to convince myself, too hard.

Myrrh? Not until the mid-stages does the myrrh start to loosen up and speak a little more, but acting only as supporting role in all that fruit-jam plot. But one would hardly consider the incense-y aspects of Cuir Venenum until they get past most of that sweetness.

Overall: A good quality fruity-floral bubblegum, with a cedar base.

Apart from the baffling name, I thoroughly enjoy this scent.

No comments:

Post a Comment